Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lack of hair or looks like male pattern baldness

Lack of hair or looks like male pattern baldness

Patient: I am 19 years old(going to be 20 soon).I had chicken pox in April 2013.After it got cured hairfall started.I had hair loss at the upper front part of my head.I shaved my head twice as some people say it will make hair healthier.It looks like male pattern baldness .The other parts of my head are ok and are filled with hair.strange thing is I saw lack of hair on the front part(appeared like male pattern baldness) a month before I had chicken pox.When my scalp(the front part) gets exposed to enough sunlight it suddenly itches on that part.I haven’t noticed properly but I think it also sometimes itches when not in sunlight.this could suggest unhealthy scalp.Now the possibilities could be:1)Poor diet/junk food:For over a year I had maximum junk food chicken chowmin(I am from India and their food stalls of rols and chowmins are not clean and unhealthy).2)genetics:My father has male pattern baldness but he says we have no bald men in our family(my uncles,my grandfather etc).I am however not sure about it.3)Masturbation:Can masturbation or excess masturbation be the cause.I had started masturbation 3 years ago(at age 17).4)cheap mobile phone headphones:I don’t know but can this be the cause because I used to hear high volume music via CHEAP MOBILE PHONE HEADFONES very much.5)Tension:Last but not the least can it be the cause.Over these past years and even now I am suffering from depression and tension.

Symptoms: Male pattern baldness

Doctor: Hello, thanks for your health query on ATD.Your loss of hair is because of hormonal & genetic factors. It has no re lation to your chicken pox junk food masturbation or headset etc.Yes, mental tension / depression may cause falling of more hairs.Start using Minoxidil 5% lotion 1 ml twice a day & follow directions given on the packing. Also take help of a psychotherapist to overcome your problems.Good luck.

Patient: If say nothing works then can hair transplant be the ultimate solution.If I can afford it.