Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lactose intolerance: symptoms and management

Lactose intolerance: symptoms and management

Patient: I’M 15 and i think i may be developing an intolerance to lactose. the past couple weeks anytime i take in to much dairy i seem to get diarrhea for about 2 hours and it is becoming more frequent. Does that mean im developing this? what are other symptoms?…how can i deal with this? health food choices?

Doctor: Lactose intolerance occurs when you suddenly develop an intolerance to dairy and all dairy products. The other symptoms along with diarrhea will be bloating , cramping pains , uncomfortable abdominal feeling. I suggest you try an elimination diet without any dairy or milk products to see whether that helps. If you have uncontrollable diarhea please keep yourself hydrated .Also try eating more fibre by eating more fresh fruits and vegetables. All the best.