Lactose intolerant. why?

Patient: I was never intolerant to milk. It’s a been couple years now that I have become lactose intolerant. I can not drink milk. Can I know why I became lactose intolerant?

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor.Lactose intolerance is the inability of adults to digest lactose.Most people nor mally cease to produce lactase, becoming lactose intolerant, after weaning, but some people have developed lactase persistence, in which lactase production continues into adulthood.Lactase deficiency is classified as one of three types:1. Primary Lactase deficiency2.Secondary, acquired, or transient lactase deficiency3.Congenital lactase deficiencyBut you have to be sure that you really have lactose intolerance or not. It might be simply Acid peptic disease that can be the reason behind these symptoms.So, get tested and be sure for this.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy