Large Lump on Right Shoulder

Ask The Doctor > Uncategorized > Large Lump on Right Shoulder

Patient: On my right shoulder, I have a big bony lump on the top of my shoulder where my shoulder joint and collar bone meet up. I went to the doctor when I was 14 for this issue when the lump was much smaller and the doctor told me that it was his opinion that it was an AC Dislocation. Over time, it seemed to have gotten better although it could have possibly been me just getting use to the discomfort. Fast forward to now, I am 24 years old and the lump has gotten much larger. I’m experiencing more discomfort now and it is a numb type pain. Whenever I throw a softball, I get a shooting pain that runs all the way down through my elbow. When this happens, I can’t lift my arm much at all for about an hour. As time passes, I eventually am able to move my arm. But I feel that I do not have the range of motion in my shoulder that I should nor do I have the strength that I feel I should have in my shoulder. I am also not sleeping very well as I have trouble getting comfortable due to my shoulder. My question is, Is there something else going on with my shoulder? Is not an AC Dislocation? If it is an AC dislocation, is it to the point where I should seek different treatments?

Symptoms: Loss of sleep, large shoulder lump, loss of strength and range of motion, numb pain in shoulder joint, arm giving out

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that this hard lump you are feeling acromioclavicular joint. The acromioclav icular joint is a joint which is formed between the clavicle (collarbone) and the acromion (the tip of the shoulder blade). It is possible that you have an injury to this joint or surrounding structures of the shoulder blade which is affecting your range of motion , strength , and causing the sharp pains you are feeling. One possible cause of this could be range from a slight displacement of the AC joint or complete separation of the joint. In order to diagnosis this, it would be best to have an MRI conducted of the joint in order to determine if this is the case.Another possible cause is could be due to an injury of the rotator cuff, which can have a similar symptom profile as an AC joint injury. Assessment and treatment of either of these injuries could range from physiotherapy, oral analgesic medications, and in the most severe cases, surgical correction.Thank you for consulting

Was this answer helpful?

Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Manitoba. He currently operates a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment