Large Red Bumps And White On Back Of Tongue

Q: I had strep and an ear infection. Took Antibiotics given, now have sore throat and bigger sized red bumps on back of tongue with white yellow on back of tongue? They don't hurt to touch them and my tongue isn't sore. Could this be cancer? What could this be?

A:   Strep throat is a bacterial throat infection caused by Streptococcus pyogenes, or group A streptococcus. Strep throat is most common between the ages of 5 and 15, but it affects people of all ages. I do not think that the bumps on the back of your tongue is due to cancer. Strep throat may cause red and swollen tonsils and tiny red spots on the the area at the back of the roof of the mouth. These bumps will clear on their own with antibiotics and as the infection subsides.