November 17, 2018

Laryngitis and Length of Contagiousness

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Laryngitis and Length of Contagiousness

Patient: I work with a lot of young children and wanted to know how long am I contagious? Started to feel ill Sunday (Feb 28), Lost my voice Monday and Tuesday, and got an nasal rx Wed. During the week I work as a teacher and on the weekends I babysit for an agency. I don’t want to infect the children. My doctor told me it was a viral infection and laryngitis, but how long will I be contagious?

Doctor: I understand your concern about laryngitis. This infection is commonly due to a viral entity, usually it would last a we ek to a maximum of two to recover completely from it, sometimes even more. The transmission is by direct contact by saliva droplets. Usually until complete recovery a person remains contagious.The treatment for this condition includes voice resting, drinking extra fluids and inhaling steam when irritation of the larynx is predominant. Just let the virus finish its course. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No