Laser Hair Removal, at-home or a clinic?

Q: Dear Doctor.

I have recently seen commercials for at-home, handheld laser hair removal products. After reading reviews online, the users of these products claim they are completely safe and effective, and that they actually work.

I am interested in laser hair removal, but wonder whether an at-home product is safe enough or whether I should be going to a registered clinic and having an expert perform the treatment on me.

There seems to be such a big discrepancy in laser hair treatment, where there are no rules or regulations governing who can perform the procedure! How safe is laser hair removal and who is the best person to do it?