Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Last month I had period, I thinkThe menstrual flow was

Last month I had period, I thinkThe menstrual flow was

Patient: Last month I had period, I think…The menstrual flow was very light, however it lasted around 5 days. Before the period came, I had very bad cramps and as well backache. Honestly, I had unprotected sex 2 weeks earlier, but I did took the emergency pill. I thought the light period was pregnancy spotting so I took pregnancy test twice, one at night and one in the morning. Both came out negative. I took the test around 3 days after the “period” came.After the period gone, I did not feel any sign of pregnancy. I thought I was too stressful bc I was in my college’s final week, and also I ate very little…so maybe those reason explained why my period was light..I expected to have a normal period this month; however, it didn’t come, just a very light pink spot, that’s it. I also have cramps and backache few days before my expected period. The only problem I thought that my period did not come was maybe because my sleeping habit was disturbed…Around a week and a half, I’ve been stayed up the whole night and slept in the day. My hair shed more than usual as well. Again, I’m having a eating disorder…Do you think all these symptoms caused by malnutrition or by being pregnant? Was it too early to take the pregnancy test? If I’m pregnant, it should be week 6th already…but I’m having no sore breasts, no nausea, food aversion,etc…I need some explanations please…so desperateThank you.

Symptoms: Cramps, Backache, Sleeping disorder, Hair fall

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD,It is evident from the history that you have been stressed for last few months and that your menses have become scantier with accompanied hair fall recently, all indicate stress. Now stress in itself is a main reason which can cause hormonal imbalances and can not just delay the menses but make then completely irregular and scantier due to increased progestin levels in the body.It doesn’t look like pregnancy as you had your menses already and don’t have any pregnancy symptoms either.But nevertheless, a serum beta hcg test now would help rule out pregnancy. A positive high titre shall indicate pregnancy and a less than 1 titre indicate no pregnancy. So if the test is negative then it is surely stress induced.You need to practice a healthy lifestyle, exercises, yoga or meditation to keep the stress levels down and menses regular.I hope I have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards