Last night I noticed some upper abdominal swelling that

Patient

Q: Last night I noticed some upper abdominal swelling that is only noticable on my back. At first I thought it was just an extension of my xphoid process. It feels like a golf ball sized and midline. Quite sore when I Press on it. 48yo female

Doctor

A:   Hi,

read and understood the findings you have noted about the small golf ball sized lump in the midline below the xiphoid process, which is noticeable on lying down on back and is bit tender.
This is a book picture of epigastric hernia with fat contents unless proved otherwise.
I would advise you to consult a General Surgeon get a clinical examination to confirm the diagnosis, get blood, urine and other tests done for fitness and get an appointment for Surgery.

Hope this helps you.