Last night I was laying on the couch watching TV,

Q: Last night I was laying on the couch watching TV, when I noticed my left arm felt like it had fallen asleep. I sat up and began to move my arm and hand to relieve the pins and needles sensation, however it was still present after a few minutes. I had numbness in my finger tips and the tingling through my palms,forearm and elbow. About 5mins later the sensation and numbness subsided in my left hand/arm and I started to feel it in my lips and tongue on the left side of my face. It all just went numb. I started to get ready to head to the local ER and by that time all symptoms subsided. I relaxed and went to lay down for bed about an hour later. I woke up this morning with a constant pressure feeling in my head. Nothing above a 4 on a small of 1-10. I then began to have the numbness and tingling again in my left hand and arm. Should I seek care at the ER or wait til Monday morning to see my GP?

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

You seem to have developed Acute nerve Compression of Cervical Disc. The pain of cervical disc compression radiates to arm with associated tingling and numbness. This can cause numbness in any finger/finger according to the nerve compressed. I would advise in such situation a pain killer like Ibuprofen/Etoricoxib. You should do hot fomentation of the affected area. Apply Diclofenac / Volini ointment locally. You should get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage. Your pain would start getting better in 5 days. In case, there is no relief, you would require to get a MRI Cervical Spine done. If any disc prolapse is found you would be treated with a combination of Pregabalin and Methycobalamine.
Share my opinion with your doctor.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.