Late Period

Patient

Q: What would cause my period to be over a week late, when I took a home pregnancy test, and it came back negative?

Doctor

A:   I understand your concern about late menses. This could be totally normal once in a while; no menstrual cycle is 100% exact.
Sometimes after ruling out pregnancy, certain conditions can cause hormonal imbalance that might alter your cycles. If you recently change your diet, lost weight, start exercising or used emergency contraception in the past 4 to 6 weeks, you could have altered your hormones and cause a temporary imbalance. I would suggest you that if you had sexual contact in your most fertile days during your last cycle, repeat your HPT. If it’s negative again wait until your next menses due date before consulting a gynecologist.