Lateral Ankle Sprain

Q: A couple years ago, I sprained my ankle (lateral ankle sprain) pretty badly in basketball. I was on crutches for 2 weeks, but I did not have a cast or boot on, I just wrapped it everyday. I went to get it checked and x-rayed because it was extremely swollen and extremely black and blue, and I could not put any pressure on it for 2 weeks. They told me that they couldn't see any fracture or anything wrong with my ankle; they said that I could have torn some ligaments in it. The only problem I had since the injury happened was that when I move my foot in certain ways it will pop, like it is popping out of the socket.

It has been almost 2 years later and it hasn't bothered me since a couple weeks ago. Every time I walk on it or play on it (I play soccer and basketball; also I wear an ankle brace on both ankles so I won't get injured again) I can hardly put pressure (I play through the pain) on it it feels like what happened 2 years ago but not as bad. I'm in college I have to walk to class everyday and use that ankle. It looks a little bit more swollen then normal, but not too swollen. It hurts on the underneath part of my foot (the arch) and radiates pain up both medial and lateral sides of my ankle.

What do you think is wrong? Should I go get it checked out?

Symptoms:  Pain, a little swelling, hard to walk on