Lateral swelling + foot pain

Patient

Q: I'm experiencing pain and swelling on the lateral side of my left foot. Specifically it starts on the side below the pinky toe to just before my ankle. It begins to hurt a bit less if I keep moving but standing still sends mild shooting pains up to my left hip. I can't recall twisting my foot or any incident that would have instigated this. I'm trying to stay off it and keep it elevated. How should I proceed and what might this be?

Symptoms:  Swelling on the lateral side of my foot from the pinky toe to the ankle. Throbbing, buzzing hot pain. Ankle and rest of the foot are fine. Pain lessens a bit if I keep moving. Mild shooting pain from side of foot to hip flexor if I stand on it too long.
Doctor