Laxatives while taking metformin

Patient : Im taking Metformin, and I now am very constipated. Is it ok to take a laxative while using this medication?
Symptoms:  Abdominal discomfort/pain, constipation
Doctor :   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. I understand your concern. You probably are suffering from Chronic Constipation. I would advise you following: 1. To get a thyroid function test done as hypothyroidism might be the cause for the constipation that you are having. 2. To take Laxative like Lactulose in night (Sugar-free variant) 3. To increase fiber in the diet. In case you have already taken Lactulose and still not passing the stools, then macrogol (polyethylene glycol) sachets help a lot. Share my opinion with your Doctor. I hope it helps. Stay Healthy