Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Laxatives while taking metformin

Laxatives while taking metformin

Patient: Im taking Metformin, and I now am very constipated. Is it ok to take a laxative while using this medication?

Symptoms: Abdominal discomfort/pain, constipation

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I understand your concern.You probably are suffering from Chronic Constipation.I would advise you following:1. To get a thyroid function test done as hypothyroidism might be the cause for the constipation that you are having.2. To take Laxative like Lactulose in night (Sugar-free variant)3. To increase fiber in the diet.In case you have already taken Lactulose and still not passing the stools, then macrogol (polyethylene glycol) sachets help a lot.Share my opinion with your Doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy