LDL Cholesterol

Patient

Q: I am 30 years old and my cholesterol report is showing 180 LDL. From online sources, it seems like Avacado/day helps in improving HDL and it doesn't increase LDL as it has mono saturated fat, but today my doctor told me that avacado is bad as it increases LDL. I am confused, is Avacado/day good for cholesterol or not?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Avocado is a fruit that is very high in fibre, vitamins and fat. When eaten in moderation, coupled with a healthy diet and exercise regime can assist in lowering total cholesterol. It is very difficult to raise HDL cholesterol, even with prescription medication. LDL cholesterol on the other can be lowered, with diet, exercise, and diets abundant in foods that act to change your overall lipid profile. One such food are avocados however, but it is imperative that you use them as part of a healthy diet in moderation.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com