Leaking urine after bladder prolapse surgery

Patient

Q: I had bladder repair surgery 3 weeks ago for a bladder prolapse and a vaginal vault prolapse. I have started the past couple of days to leak urine. What is going on? Is this normal? I never leaked urine before the surgery. The doctor used a mesh sling for my bladder.

Doctor

A:   Quite likely, you have developed a complication of your surgical procedure; urinary incontinence. This does not occur often, but is a well recognized potential adverse outcome of such procedures.You should return to your surgeon and explain this new development, so that he/she may investigate and confirm this diagnosis. Unfortunately, a second, albeit minor, procedure may be required to correct the issue.