Left arm pain and Iron Deficiency Anemia

Q: Hi I'm a 14 yr old girl and i have iron deficiency anemia. I stopped taking iron pills about 1 yr ago. I havent been taking any medications. Now i have constant pain in my left arm. I dont know if it has anything to with my anemia. Does it?

A:   Thank you for your question. It is difficult to determine whether your left arm pain is caused by your history of iron deficiency anemia. Other types of anemia, such as sickle cell anemia are directly associated with joint pain. Your joint pain could be due to a musculoskeletal problem unrelated to your anemia. We recommend that you have your arm examined by your physician as well as have your anemia reassessed since it is has been a year since you stopped iron supplementation.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com