September 24, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Left knee pain when sitting

Left knee pain when sitting

Patient: I salman raza 26 year of age , I have problem with my left knee I feel so much pain when I forse on it , while walking, playing and specially in bending position . whenever i sit in bending position for 2 to 3 minutes then feel so much pain to stand and after standing difficult to walk . Kindly tell the solution in detail thanks

Doctor: Knee pain is the most common presentation of patellofemoral syndrome The pain typically is located behind/below /around d the kneecap and often shows during activities that require knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (ei, during squats, bicycle, ascending/descending stairs, jogging or pendants, prolonged kneeling). Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while watching a movie, hence leading to the terms “theatre sign” and “movie-goer’s knee.” The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint. The suggested strategy for conservative treatment should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises and pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”, “Advil”), education  so  you understand which activities avoid because those can aggravate patellofemoral syndrome. Also, and very important, remark the need for extended adherence to the exercise regimen. The physical therapist should educate you about a home exercise program. Allow time for these conservative measures (ei: exercise program) to have an effect, usually 4-6 weeks is adequate for some resolution of symptoms.