Left leg and ankle swelling and redness

Q: Dear Doctor, I am asking for my behalf on my mother. Her left leg of the ankle is now swelling and on the left side of the ankle it appear to be swollen and red. It looked like it is "edema" as I have google on the pictures. The part where is swollen is red with some veins but is not painful and the part of lump appear to be soft. She started to drink more water and soak her leg in warm water with sea salt and her ankle is still swelling. Is there any home remedies that she apply on? Do You have any recommendation of ointment to let her to apply so the swelling can reduce? Thank you very much

A:     The symptoms that you are mentioning could just be due to edema ( ie the collection of fuid in the tissue spaces ) or it could be something more severe like a deep vein thrombosis ( clot in the deep veins leading to serious complications) or a thrombophelbitis ( inflamation of the veins). In any case there is no sure shot home remedy and i would advice you to get your mother to see a physician sooner than later for a more detailed examination and further treatment and investigations. This condition could be potentially serious and needs to be seen ASAP. All the best.