Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Left leg, can’t bend

Left leg, can’t bend

Patient: Can’t bend my left leg at the knee. Very stiff and swollen. I haven’t hurt my leg at all, if just came on suddenly. Tool ibuprofen and applied ice. That was a mistake. Getting ready to apply heat. What else can I do?

Symptoms: Severe pain, nausea.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. This sudden leg swelling and stiffness could possibly be due to an infection of of the knee joint, or a ruptured synovial bursa. A bursa is a capsular fluid filled structure which serves to cushion the movement of tendons and muscle over bones. Another possible cause of this stiffness in your knee could be an attack of gout. Gout is caused by an excessive build up of uric acid which deposits as crystals within articular joints causing pain, stiffness and inflammation. We recommend that you go to your doctor to have this examined and start the appropriate treatment. We recommend that you continue to apply ice to the knee to assist in reduction of the swelling.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com