x
Browse
185 Physicians Online

Question:

Left lower back pain: is this due to renal stones?

I have a stapping pain in my left side, around the kidney, and my left iliac crest hurts. this pain is contiuos but with different degrees during the day. it started about three weeks ago, the pain is little bit releaved when I empty my intestines, and when i take muscle reliever, i did an ultrasound and nothing wrong in the abdomen, i did some blood tests, and the only disturbed ones are glucose 309, and ESR 61 1st hour, and 80 2end hour. i did a urine test and there was 4 to 6 white cells, 4 to 6 red cells, 8 to 10 epithelial cells, and ph 5,lately i stareted to suffer from edema in my legs and feet. i'm a diabetic,and i ahve high blood pressure, and i have a stone in the middle of my left kidney , but it's fixed and doen't move at all. can you please tell me what's wrong. and what should I do next, thank you

Answer:

From what you have explained it seems that you may be having a kidney infection or some new stone which has formed leading to  the renal colic and thus leading to the pain. I would advice you to get a ct scan of the Kidney and the pelvis done to get a better idea whether a new stone is present. It could also be muscular pain since it improves on taking a muscle relaxant. Considering your age is would also want to rule out any aortic dissection which occurs when there is blood leaking from the aorta and this would also need a ct scan done . At this point i would get the CT scan done along with a repeat urine test and kidney function tests.All the best.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA