Left Shoulder Damaged

Patient

Q: I was in a really bad car accident on April 9th 2005. My left shoulder was pinned in the window of a passenger van that flipped onto its top and spun around on the pavement and glass. I had road rash on my shoulder blade that was 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. At the hospital in Florida they treated my road rash but not my left shoulder. I could BARELY lift my entire left arm and I was given pain meds and muscle relaxer no sling or anything to help support my shoulder. When I got back
to Oregon my shoulder went untreated for 6 weeks due to insurance and legal issues in Florida. My shoulder has hurt ever since. Some days it doesn't hurt as bad as others and on occasion a doctor will prescribe me pain meds. I've been in physical therapy twice but it gets harder and harder to do because of the pain. Is this chronic pain and if so how do I get it formally diagnosed?

Symptoms:  I've tried ice pack for 30 minutes. 800mg ibuprofen that works for about 4 hours. I've been in physical therapy twice before and I've tried those movements but they only cause more pain. around my shoulder join and blade my muscles are tense and I can't seem to get them to relax. it sends pain into my neck and sometimes shoots pains all the way to my wrist. Sometimes the pain will make my whole arm go numb down to my finger tips and its hard to hold/handle every day objects.
Doctor