Leftover sperm cause a high chance of becoming pregnant

Patient

Q: If only 2% of sperm is left over after an ejaculation, why is it a high chance to get pregnant from that? Isn't that only 10 million sperm cells or maybe even less? I thought that 15 million/mL was considered infertile?

Doctor

Thanks for the query

It is to be understood that only one sperm is required to cause pregnancy. The count of sperm can decide the possibility of making a woman pregnant but with the advent of various IVF techniques, males with even lower counts are able to father a child. It cannot be labelled with conviction as to which sperm shall fertilize and when, so even a 2% ejaculate if left in vagina, if it contains sperms then still the chances of pregnancy cannot be negated completely unless the male is azoospermic and has no sperms in the ejaculate at all.
I hope I have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you good health,

I hope I have answered your query in detail