Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Leg difference back pain

Leg difference back pain

Patient: Why does my right leg appear to be shorter than my left leg all of a sudden forcing me to tilt to the right and causing pain in my left lower back and sometimes in my left upper leg

Symptoms: Back pain

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you are experiencing muscle spasms. The muscle which when spasming occu rs results in shortening of the leg and back pain is the Psoas muscle. The psoas muscle primarily flexes the hip and spinal column and is located in the lower back near the spine. If this spasms, it can result in inadvertent flexion of the hip given a shortened appearance of the leg, and lower back pain.In order to treat this you will have to be evaluated by a doctor to determine what is causing this. You may be prescribed to under go some physical therapy treatment for the prevention of these spasms in the future. Please see you doctor for further evaluation.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com