Leg hematoma from falling down stairs

Patient : Three weeks ago I fell down a flight of stairs and landed on my head at the bottom. I went to the ER and then to my family doctor. My left leg has a large hematoma . The swelling has gone down somewhat in the last week, but it is still about the size of a grapefruit on the front of my leg. Over the last several days it has become more painful, is now a sloptchy red and white, and has begun to itch. I have been taking ibuprofen and using ice on it at night. Could there be something more serious going on?
Symptoms:  Swelling, skin discoloration (not ulceration), increased pain, itching