Leg length discrepancy after total Hip replacement surgery

Q: My husband recently had left total hip replacement done. The left legis now noticeably shorter than the right. Is there anything that can be done to correct it?

A:   Thank you for tour question. There are several reason that could result in leg length discrepancy after total hip replacement surgery. This can be an expected result of the surgery or can unexpectedly occur after the hip surgery. Small leg length discrepancies are treated with orthotic shoe lifts which help the patient in walking without a noticeable limp. In larger leg length discrepancies, surgery may be required to correct the discrepancy by removing extra bone, or adjusting the size of the prosthetic hip. Please have your father see consult his orthopaedic surgeon to discuss which option will be best to treat his leg length discrepancy.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com