Leg numbness and tingling

Q: Two days ago I had severe lower back pain. It got much better yesterday after resting all day. But today my leg left is tingling and numb. Is this something serious? Can this be treated at home?

Symptoms:  Back pain, numbness, tingling

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you may be suffering form a condition known as sciatica. This occurs when the sciatic nerve becomes impinged in the lower back or gluteal region leading to painful, tingling, or numb sensation down the back of both or one of the legs. Treatment of this requires, addressing the source of the pain. If this pain is originating due to a problem with the lumbar spine, then the appropriate treatment will be prescribed. This may include analgesic medication, therapy and in the most severe cases surgery. Since this is an acute onset case, it is possible that this can be treated with medication and monitored by your doctor to make sure you are not going to be at risk for severe sciatica in the future.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com