Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lesion of PCL and meniscus producing pain and limitation to walk

Lesion of PCL and meniscus producing pain and limitation to walk

Patient: Hi doctor I just have a MRI taking of my knee and they found tear of the posterrior ulna and meniscus exending into the inferior articular surface. Lateral meniscus in intact. there is small joint effusion. I can hardly walk and if I walk I get pain. I had surgery to repair my lateral meniscus in 1992 and now they told me I might required knee replacement.

Doctor: If you only had problems with your PCL and medial meniscus you may have a repair surgery that will take care of both iss ues, but if besides, you also have severe degenerative changes in the knee jointthen you may require a knee replacement.After a knee replacement is very important to follow a proper physical therapy program, keep the weight under control and do not over stress the knee joints. If these measures are followed in most of the cases a total knee replacement can last 10 years or more before thinking in new replacement.