LEVLEN ED AND DOXYCYCLINE MIX?

Patient

Q: Hi there!
I've been on the birth control pill, Levlen ED for a little over a week now and for the passed 2 years I have been on Doxycycline to treat hormonal acne break outs. I have two questions.
Am I able to take both pills without them effecting one another?
And recently I have broken out terribly since being on the pill, will this subside as my body adjusts?

Symptoms:  Acne, nausea, cramping
Doctor

A:   Hi,

I can understand your concern.

Here are the answers to your question-
- No, you cannot take doxycycline and Levelen ED together because doxycycline is a drug of the tetracycline group and it may decrease the effectiveness of pills and may cause breakthrough bleeding and pregnancy.
-Yes, the symptoms can be due to hormonal imbalance and subside with time.

Hope it was useful.