Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > LEVLEN ED AND DOXYCYCLINE MIX?

LEVLEN ED AND DOXYCYCLINE MIX?

Patient: Hi there!I’ve been on the birth control pill, Levlen ED for a little over a week now and for the passed 2 years I have been on Doxycycline to treat hormonal acne break outs. I have two questions.Am I able to take both pills without them effecting one another?And recently I have broken out terribly since being on the pill, will this subside as my body adjusts?

Symptoms: Acne, nausea, cramping

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I can understand your concern.Here are the answers to your question– No, you cannot take doxycycline and Levelen ED together because doxycycline is a drug of the tetracycline group and it may decrease the effectiveness of pills and may cause breakthrough bleeding and pregnancy.-Yes, the symptoms can be due to hormonal imbalance and subside with time.Hope it was useful.Regards