Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lexapro Sexual Side Effects – Remedies

Lexapro Sexual Side Effects – Remedies

Patient: I am taking lexapro 10 mg for 50 days now. I had taken this drug for over 10 years (approx age 16 through 27) and got off of it for 1.5 years due to sexual side effects and partners frustration. I used to take it coupled with welbutrin xl 300mg. Due to the extreme depression and social anxiety that have surfaced I was left with little choice but to return to the one medicine that helped. I now take significantly less mg then I used to, but just lexapro. I experience a stronger libido than I used to but find it absolutely impossible to orgasm. I am single now and have been sexually active for about a month. I am able to masterbate (although it takes significant amount of time) and orgasm. I understand part of this is my worrying about it, finding myself just praying to orgasm! However, I also have done enough research to know that lexapro will do this to you. So my question is will taking a small dosage of a drug like viagra cialis counteract prolonged ejaculation? Is there any other supplement that is recommended? I have heard ginseng liquid and Mucuna pruriens? I understand the best thing to do is get off of ssri but I really don’t think I should right now. I have struggled with this most of my life. Please help!

Doctor: Erectile dysfunction is a major side effect of SSRIs. Treatment options in dealing with the ED includei) Decreasing th e dosage of the drugii) Using an alternative drug that has lesser side effectsiii) Cognitive and behavioural therapies andiv) Sildenafil (Viagra)Recent studies have shown marked improvement in the sexual life of patient with ED on Sildenafil. I would suggest you to consult your physician on these treatment option to see which suits you the best. Take care.