Life Affecting Periods

Patient

Q: My periods have been irregular for a couple of years now, where i can go about 5months without having one. but when i do come on it's very heavy, so i'm assuming that's just what's built up.
however, this last time i've come on it's lasted nearly 3months and it's getting to the point that it's so heavy that it disrupts my day to day life and am sometimes to scared to move.
i'm going abroad to study in a few weeks for 4months, i don't want this to happen whilst i'm out there.
is there anything that can be done to solve my problem, or at least keep my period at bay whilst i'm away?

Doctor