Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Lifestyle modifications to lower triglyceride levels.

Lifestyle modifications to lower triglyceride levels.

Patient: I am mid 36, i am taking the siddha treatment for less count of sperms and motility, and i have high level triglycerides, please help me to reduce triglycerides

Doctor: There are several lifestyle modifications that can be undertaken to lower the level of triglyceride in the blood: Reduce total fat intake, restrict simple carbohydrates (such as sugar and white flour) and increase dietary fibre; and restrict alcohol to no more than one beverage per day. Large quantities or fruit juice or non-diet soda can increase triglycerides, so limit quantities of these. Increase consumption of omega-3 fatty acids (fish oils found in sardines, herring, mackerel or supplementation). Increasing aerobic exercise daily to 30-60 minutes can also dramatically reduce triglyceride levels. If lifestyle modifications fail, a drug prescription from your family doctor of a fibrate, niacin or a statin, may improve levels.