Light brown streak on big toe

Patient : I have a light brown vertical line on my big toe. I'm nauseated more often & because of the nausea, I haven't been in the mood to eat as much. I'm mainly having an issue with the vertical line on my toe. Any thoughts as to what it could be?
Symptoms:  Nausea. Trouble eating.
Doctor :   Thank you for your question. This is referred to as melanonychia or pigment lines. In general this is a normal phenomeno n that commonly occurs with age. Persons with with darker complexion have a higher incidence of having these develop. It is important that you have this examined by your doctor as these lines can be associated with at type of skin cancer called melanoma. If this is ruled out, then this may be a normal occurrence. Please see your doctor. Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com