Limb Lengthening

Patient : Well m from india..m of 17 years...and my height is 5"1. my mother's height is-5"3 my father's height is-5"10 my brother's height is 5"11 but i am so short.please suggest me some supplements(WHICH ARE AVAILABLE IN INDIA) or some exercise to increase my height. also,i heard about LIMB LENGTHENING SURGERY..can i go for it at 17?does it have any side effects?what is the cost of the surgery?
Doctor :   Your distress with your height is certainly understandable. You are still in your growth spurt and your present height i s unlikely to be your final height in adulthood. A normal, balanced diet is usually all that is required to facilitate adequate growth. Before considering any supplements, you should have yourself checked for any hormone deficiencies which may be inhibiting growth. The most common deficiency which causes this problem is insufficient Human Growth hormone. If there is no such deficiency then you may consider limb-lengthening surgery. Such a procedure should only be performed after you have completed your growth spurt which normally ends with your teen years.

Related Q&A

Q: I am not sure if I have Clonus in the wrist? When I flex my wrist up towards myself it starts shaking uncontrollably,...

Q: Im experiencing mild pain in right shoulder an upper arm for last 2 days, the pain is felt when I strech my arms or w...

Q: I have a infected ear lobe from stretching to 8mm and it has crusty puss on it and I'm wondering how to clean it off

Q: I am tanay, 21yrs old. In my blood test there is increase in P-lcr-70.9,PDW-23.3,and MPV-15.1. And my platelet counts...

Q: How long should it take for a sprained wrist to heal and is there anything I can do to accelerate the process? I ...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon