Liver

Patient: I did my general health check up recently. I have direct,indirect,total billirubin within range, USG of liver shows normal size,shape. However, SGOT is 43 and SGPT is 72. What is the clinical corelation ?

Doctor: I realize your doubt about these liver enzymes. Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST or SGOT) and Alanine Aminotransferase (A LT or SGPT) are enzymes normally contained within liver cells. If the liver is injured, the liver cells spill the enzymes into blood, raising the enzyme levels in the blood and signaling the liver damage.However this could also increase slightly like in your case if you took a medication within 48 hours or an alcohol containing beverage within the same period too. Since your ultrasound is normal apparently the reason for the slight increase might not be due a more serious condition, I would suggest you to review your labs with your doctor for a more detailed evaluation.