Liver & Biliart Panel Results - Globulin

Patient

Q: Blood test results showed Globulin in liver & biliary panel at 36g/L instead of reference range at 20-32g/L, abit worry. Please advise course of action. thanks!

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Globulin's are proteins produced by the liver by the immune system. If elevated globulins were observed in the liver this could be due to several conditions. The first could be in response to an acute infection with bacteria or viruses. Other possible causes could be due to the development of inflammatory autoimmune diseases such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. Last but not least, this could be caused by the development of multiple myeloma, which is a type of cancer of white blood cells. Your liver function test results are only mildly elevated above the reference range and therefore more investigation is required into the cause of this. Please follow up with your doctor for further evaluation.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com