Liver cirrhosis may decrease fertility

Patient

Q: I have been battling Primary Sclerosing Cholangitus, PSC, for 4 years now. I have chirossis of the Liver and Ulcerative cholitis. My Wife and I are trying to concive our first child, with no luck. We are tracking BMTs and Periods, making sure to have sex on high fertility days and ovulation days. I am wondering if the fact that my semen is jaundice looking, or yellowish in color. at one point it was orange, but that cleared up. Is this caused by my liver disease and will it prevent us from having children?

Doctor

A:   Primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) and ulcerative colitis (UC) may not have a direct effect on your fertility; however various hormonal disturbances are often observed in patients with liver cirrhosis. Clinical features of male cirrhotic patients may include: gynaecomastia (breast enlargement in males), testicular wasting, reduced fertility, loss of libido, and impotence. Sex hormones may show a decrease in serum testosterone levels and an increase in serum oestrogen levels accompanied by an increase in the ratio of oestrogen to testosterone in patients with severe liver cirrhosis, depending on the severity of liver dysfunction. I would recommend referral to an OBGYN who specialises in fertility issues for individual advice in your case.