Liver pain after consuming alcohol

Q: I have a pain under my right rib cage and I think it is my liver as it is worse after I have had a drink of alcohol. I am a 22 year old female witha a history of bulimia and alcohol abuse which lasted about 3 years. I would like to know what the chances are of my liver being very badly damaged?

A:   Liver pain after drinking is a sign of some serious underlying condition, that indicates worsening liver function and excessive stress. Fatty liver, alcoholic hepatitis and alcoholic cirhosis are the prominent cause of liver pain following alcohol intake. You need to reduce your alcohol intake to prevent further damage as well as reversal of the damage already occurred. Consulting a psychiatrist for behaviour or psychotherapy may help deal with alcohol abuse.