Living after inguinal hernia surgery

Patient

Q: I had Inguinal Surgery (Mesh) 1 ½ years ago. At age 52 I’m a Personal Trainer, and a total Gym/Exercise fanatic. After my surgery (August 27th 2012) I did everything my Surgeon said for post surgical healing.
But I’ve had since 6 months after the surgery: Irritation feelings and sometimes burning sensation around the surgical area. It scares me. I’ve went back to my surgeon once and he said everything looks & feels fine. And he said I should be able to keep my life style of going to the gym & flooring…but for me to consider cutting the weight down in the weightlifting routines.

A few months back I went again to see my Surgeon over irritation feelings. During my trip to his office he had to step out for an emergency & the office personnel had me see another Surgeon. He also said everything felt & looked good, but stated I might have a week Inguinal Canal. When I told him I was into Flooring for my job & an exercise/weightlifting fanatic…He said after turning 50 I should be out of the flooring & stay away from weightlifting (Barbell Squats, Barbell Bench Press’s etc…) in the gym.
He said jogging, walking, cycling & Calisthenics Routines is all I should do from now on! Is this correct?

Exercising, weightlifting & flooring has been in my life for over 25 years…is this right? To just have to quit?

Some folks have told me, it is normal to feel irritations & burning sensations around the scar…scar tissue is harder than skin…and to keep doing what I’m doing…Scares me! HELP…what should I do?

Gary Allen

Symptoms:  uncomfortable at times
Doctor