Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Locking knee issue

Locking knee issue

Patient: I’m feeling an awkwardness to my knee, like when i try to stand my good leg locks fine and is fully extended but i cant comfortably lock my other leg. I can extend it fine, but when im standing i always find im standing on that leg with a knee slightly bent and my quad is tensed to make up for it. It has been a gradual thing, becoming more and more uncomfortable. There was never a time when i felt i jarred it or anything, it just started feeling like this.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. You could possibly be developing arthritis in you knee joint. However, this may not be the only cause. Another cause of your symptoms could possibly be due damage to one of the stabilizing ligaments of your knee joint such as the medical cruciate ligament or the anterior cruciate ligament. It is important that you have your knee examined by your doctor. Besides the examination, an x-ray and MRI may be performed to help in diagnosing the problem. Treatments for this type of problem include physical therapy, medications such as corticosteroids and NSAIDs, and possibly surgical correction.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com