Long period after miscarriage

Q: I had a miscarriage back in early September and it was a natural miscarriage (did not have a D&C) so it took a few months for my hormone levels to drop down to zero. I started my first period since before I got pregnant on thanksgiving. I spotted for a few days then it got really heavy. It's been a little over two weeks and I'm still bleeding. I've also been passing blood clots every now and then that are about the size of quarters. It's lightened up a bit but it's still bright red. Is this normal? Please help!

Symptoms:  Slight lower back discomfort, tired, slight cramping in lower stomach. But nothing painful.

A:   Prolonged bleeding following a miscarriage may be a sign of incomplete abortion. Ultrasonography of the uterus may rule out or confirm retained product of conception and surgical evacuation may be required. Unscheduled bleeding may be caused by many other problems as well, including, but not limited to, say, hypothyroidism or Polycystic Ovaries. Please consult your Gynecologist for advice specific to your problems, and seek remedy.