Long running penile yeast infection.

Q: I have a penile yeast infection and am an uncircumsized male. Its been going on for a few months. What are some things I can do to eliminate it? I've cut down on sweets and I believe practice good hygiene. I do believe I eat more bread and drink pop alot more then I should. I originally got this from an antibiotic I was taking for acne several years ago. Once I quit taking it I rarely got one until now. Help?

Symptoms:  No rash or bumps. Just discharge when i pull the foreskin back

Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com

If you are concerned about the discharge underneath the foreskin or prepuce, then you must understand that may be just SMEGMA, which is natural discharge from the glands. Unless there has been constant itching which has been involved , it would not indicate a yeast infection. However diabetes is known to promote yeast infection , but as you are not , so stopping on foods which are high in sugar content is nice but will not help you protect from fungal infection if any.

Fungal infection has to be confirmed first by a penile smear culture test which if grows fungal hyphae on sabourad's medium then fungus stands confirmed and you could be easily treated with oral ANTI-FUNGALS , with once a week regime for 3 weeks. However it is advisable that you may visit your physician for a local examination and evaluation to diagnose in a better manner.

I hope i have answered your query in detail,
wishing you health,