Long term lump in groin area?

Patient : I noticed this lump in my groin area a year ago this coming April, but never could get it checked out due to finances and not having medical insurance. Anyway, it never really bothered me before. It was never sore or anything until just now. It has become tender to the touch and has swollen larger than usual (About the size of half my thumb). Its location is to the right of my genitals, almost directly on the lip of my vagina. It is completely under the skin, not visible at all. It does have a tendency to grow and shrink randomly, which I always thought was a bit strange. I thought it could be a swollen lymph node, which would lead me to believe that it's sore now due to an infection(Though I don't feel as though I have any sort infection.) If that's the case, then why has it been swollen for a year and why wouldn't any of my other lymph nodes be swollen and sore as well? If that isn't the case, then what is this lump and what should I do? Also, I've been on Ortho Cyclen for the past 5 or so months, but was not taking any medication (Birth control included) during, or anywhere near the time that I discovered the lump. Right now a doctor visit is out of the question. Just wrecked my only vehicle, trying to buy a new one, and still no medical insurance, so please answer this as best you can to help ease my anxiety on the issue. Thanks.
Symptoms:  Long term swollen lump that frequently changes size, sudden tenderness to touch