Long term sciatica problems. is my newfound relief to be short lived?

Patient

Q: Dear atd,
About 8 years ago (18 years old at the time) I suddenly developed Sharp lower back and leg pain that has been with me ever since. I continued to work as a dishwasher on and off since then and occasionally needed 1-2 days off to rest my back so I could manage the pain more easily. About 4 months ago while doing side labor hurt my back again this time resulting in pain that was similar but much more painful (i would say 3 or 4 times). Were I found relief before by lying down or sitting in a recliner, the same methods seemed to produce more pain on top of the underlying. I took it easy for about two months with no obvious results then took a dishwashing job out of necessity and did fine for a month. Then after a week of heavy workload which I finished off with two double shifts in a row , I awoke on my day off telling much more sore than I had since the incident a few months prior, by the end of that night I was in more pain than I could have imagined. While in bed if I tried to roll over there was a pinpoint spot in my lower back that went bonkers. The sensation mixed with the pain almost caused a sort of nausea, it felt as if my top half was going to break away from my bottom half if I continued ( I did and it diddnt lol) also moveing from sitting to standing and vice versa was allmost unbearable. The pain in my leg would spontaneously and rapidly change in location and intensity. And would extend a few inches past the knee. About two weeks ago the worst of the leg pain stopped suddenly, I was out walking and noticed the change on the way back home. Things have gotten progressively better since then to the point that I feel better for the first time since the incedent four months ago, except for a new sort of tenderness and occasional Sharp leg pains. Should I expect to getprogressivley better? I've read that if you have sciatica for over month or so it can be something that needs attention. Is relief like this typically short lived?

Doctor