Looking for a few steps or advice towards my symptoms.

Patient

Q: Hello, my names Josh-18; to start off I could write paragraphs what has happened to my life the past 8 or so years. Let's just get things straight, my home town was hit by a flood in 2008, I had the perfect life, as in healthy always outside, had a great lovely relationship.

The flood of 2008 impacted my life severely, it made me gain tremendous amounts of weight to where, I don't even feel like I fit in with friends that I knew my whole entire life. It makes me paranoid, depressed in public, and the most embarrassing thing I get huge huge sweats when I'm in public. ( which is why i'm asking you fellow doc's for some help. ) Ever since the flood, I haven't been who I was, I changed, changed for the worse, I'm now always inside my house, never ever go outside. I probably go outside approximately 6-10 hours a MONTH! Because, well, like I said before, I can't stand my "appearance".

While I was in middle school, I had thoughts of suicide, and I got help, went to a hospital and they gave me a Counselor, he put me on some meds, (saddly I can't remember the name of them) to me, they didn't do much, if anything they made it hard on my father to keep up with having to get me refills every month.

Wondering where I should start off, if there's any sort of "medication" form, to help me not be so paranoid, and stop the constant sweats that I have in public, it's sad, I mean, I even had them around my own family during Christmas, it embarrasses me. I'm not as 'depressed' as I was while I was in middle school, but I still have my downs here and there.

TLDR: I'm looking for help to see if there's any sort of "medication" out there to help stop my sweats I get while I go out in public, and also maybe help a little depression spikes I get some times. I'm trying to get back on track of who I was ( before the 2008 flood of my home town ) as in looking for a job, and don't want to embarrass myself sweating pools while I get interviewed, not only that, it'd help me out in the long run feeling more accepted in public and not sitting there wiping my forehead and thinking to myself what the person is thinking that i'm talking to or I walk by.

Thanks, Josh. --18

Symptoms:  SEVERE Sweating, Paranoia, Depression.
Doctor

Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
The symptoms that you are describing are probably a part of the syndrome called social phobia. It's a type of anxiety disorder and it's very common. It occurs due to the imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain like serotonine, nor-epinephrine, and dopamine. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as paroxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of this anxiety disorder. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.
You may meet your doctor and get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a psychologist consult.
Do meet your doctor.
Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health.