Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Loose or damaged anus

Loose or damaged anus

Patient: Embarrassing but I was anally raped a few months ago and now my anus feels too loose. I have trouble holding in “farts” and I always feel the need to clench my butt cheeks throughout the day. I’m worried I smell. It feels uncomfortable and its hard to take my mind off it and is causing me emotional stress and anxiety. What should I do? Is there a surgery that can tighten it back up or what? Thank you.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We are very sorry that you have had such a traumatic experience. Possible that you have sus tained a injury to the anal sphincter which will take time to heal. Since it has been several months it is possible that you may need to be evaluated by your doctor to determine if you require any surgical intervention to treat it. It is difficult to determine the extent of this injury without a full rectal examination, therefore we urge you to go to your doctor to be examined and undergo prompt treatment. We hope you feel better soon.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com