Loss of Appetite with bad hunger pains

Patient

Q: I have been unable to eat for a little over a week now. I'm losing weight, and even the thought of food turns me off. When I try to eat, I have to stop. But I also feel bad hunger pains.

Symptoms:  Loss of appetite, nausea, hunger pains
Doctor

A:   Hello.
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

Loss of appetite, hunger pains and weight loss can be because of following reasons:
1. Peptic Ulcer Disease
2. Malabsorption syndrome like Celiac Disease.
I would advise you to get Upper GI endoscopy and Ultrasound Abdomen.
Also, if Endoscopy suggests any evidence of Celiac Disease, you would require to get Anti TTG Antibody test done.
Your doctor will get your endoscopy and if finds any ulcers will take a biopsy for h.pylori infection.
He will start you on a combination of Rabeprazole and Domperidone.
Avoid Painkillers, Alcohol, Smoking.
Take Soft, Bland diet.
Share my opinion with your Doctor.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy