Loss of balance

Patient : Hi all, I am asking for my father. He's over seventy, but he's still in good health and strength (always been, btw), except.. he's been seriously suffering from losing his balance, staggering etc. but, as he says himself, only when walking (and, probably, standing) and not when sitting or lying. It may all have started 10-15 years ago when he began to experience some difficulty or pain in his legs after any somewhat longer walk, he would stop walking for a moment, rub the legs (leaves) and proceed. Year after year and now (actually for four or so years already) he's been encountering this balance problems too. But I'd like to remark that, as he says and I believe him, he's not dizzy, giddy, "spinning" or faint, anything. He's also in good (one would say perfect :-) mental health condition. He's always been a "steady" hypertension patient but seems like having it under control for years now. He's also a little hard of hearing (but mostly to the phone ringing in the other room, or to the doorbell (perhaps not so bad per se :-) About the only other moment I consider worth mentioning here is that recently he underwent, as doctors said, a slight stroke (not sure if heart or brain one), was hospitalized but also pretty quickly recovered, without any serious or "tangible" consequences as far as I can tell. As of lately he's also using a walker when walking outside. To cut it all shorter, now - after many consumed medicines and all "necessary" medical checkups and sessions I believe, which didn't come up with any improvement for him, he's waiting an official phone call for some kind of neck surgery (on carotids I believe) in hospital!? (and, to make the matter seemed worse to me, he seems to accept it all much easier himself than I do, as being something normal and almost "necessary" for him, hes almost "hell-bent" :-) So my question(s) is, do you think it's the right decision from him to accept such an operation, I mean, as it seems, failing other serious symptoms like vertigo, nausea etc.; are there any better alternatives (even just "waiting as-is"); is the risk of making the matter worse, like for instance losing some of his current mental health, for him (and myself yes!) too high? Can you please help with something here that I could "proudly" flip under his nose as the other EXPERT opinion? (I'd need to translate it a little for him, we're abroad, but I would not be cheating a bit! :-) Thank you very much anyway! pretty desperate
Doctor :   This question is currently in queue and will be answered shortly by one of our doctors. In the meantime you may browse our library of answered questions by clicking here.

Related Q&A

Q: I am a 29 year old female, and have family history of HCM in uncles and some cousins on father's side. However, my fa...

Q: If a birth mother tests negative for HIV on July 24th which is the same day that she gives birth to her son (her lesb...

Q: Age:36, Gender: Male Good morning, I did blood tests: we use canadian units Hb 145 10^9 (normal) Wbc 7.4 10^9 (...

Q: I'm writing this post as I need an opinion / help on what to do next as I'm feeling lost. Important notes Symptoms ha...

Q: So about 3 weeks ago I started getting abdominal pain with the severity that it would wake me up at night. It was alm...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon