Loss of Mucous Plug at 24 weeks

Patient

Q: I'm 24 weeks pregnant and last night i think i lost some of my mucus plug. it was clear and kind of a white mixture. have had some cramps today but they go away when lying on side. i'm very worried because of this overall feeling of somethings wrong. what should i do?

Doctor

A:   You should visit your nearest hospital equipped to handle obstetrical care.  Loss of mucous can often be a first sign of impending labour but it can also be an insignificant event. The obstetrician will perform a special test to assess if your membranes have ruptured and develop a management plan accordingly.