Loss of smell

Patient: I have lost my sense of smell due to the flu I suffered last July 2011. I was sick for 2 weeks in bed with a heavy head, nasal congestion, sore throat and coughing. I remember one night I was desperate to breathe, I put some Drixine nasal spray in my nostrils and the pain was unbelievable, it felt so cold and like frozen….I’ve had a scan and a brain MRI and they show normal.Is there anything I can do to bring my smell back? are there any good clinics that solve this issue?I can taste around maybe 40% of foods.Pls HELP!! Thank you, Isabel

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We are very sorry that you have had such a distressing time with your symptoms of anosmia ( loss of smell). Anosmia can be experienced after a severe upper respiratory tract infection, or be caused by toxicity of certain chemical exposures or medications. The sense of smell can be permanently effected, or may take months to partially or fully return. Since your symptoms have been going on for several years, and it has affected your ability to taste your food, we strongly recommend that you consult an Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist who will evaluate you for you for the cause of your loss of smell and determine what treatments would assist you in curing this.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com